Note: This is a Part-time position. Three 8-hour day shifts in total. Every Saturday and Sunday plus one weekday.
Careers at Landmark, part of the Optum and UnitedHealth Group family of businesses. At Landmark, we work to deliver high quality, comprehensive care to chronically ill patients wherever they reside and whenever they need it. We focus on doing what’s right for the people we serve, even when it’s not easy. This is your opportunity to be part of a compassionate team that is setting out to change health care for complex, chronic patients. We’re looking for driven people like you because changing the status quo takes dedication. Here, we’ll invest in your personal and professional growth while giving you a unique opportunity to make a difference. Helping people feel their best is a rewarding part of doing your life’s best work.(sm)
The Nurse Care Manager (NCM) is an integral part of the Interdisciplinary care team (IDT) and is responsible for the overall care management process for high acuity engaged Landmark patients. The NCM has oversight for developing, managing, and coordinating patients’ plan of care to include medical and psychosocial needs and patient-centered goals. The NCM works with patients/caregivers to maintain and improve health status by providing care coordination, health education, guidance and support for medical and psychosocial complex chronic conditions. Professionals in this role elicit input from the IDT based on initial and ongoing comprehensive assessments of the patient.
The NCM uses nursing assessment, evaluation skills, data and reports to guide care planning decisions for the patient. They are skilled at navigating the patients’ health plan benefits to identify providers, resources and vendors that provide required care and services. The NCM works collaboratively with the IDT to provide appropriate, effective, high quality, and cost-effective care to engaged patients in their current residence. If a patient requires care outside their residence, the NCM collaborates with community-based service providers to ensure coordinated care during critical times of transition between health care settings and home.
In addition to the NCM, the Landmark IDT consists of the Regional Medical Director, Pod Leaders, mid-level practitioners, Health Services Director (HSD), clinical supervisors, behavioral health clinicians, social workers, pharmacists, dietitian/nutritionist, ambassadors, care coordinators, the patient and/or caregiver and family.
If you are located in New York, you will have the flexibility to work remotely* as you take on some tough challenges.
- Acts as an advocate for the patient
- Engages and collaborates with patient/caregiver and providers to develop an individualized Care Plan that addresses disease management, health promotion, and patient-centered goals
- Monitors patient progress against Care Plan goals with an emphasis on patient care needs during times of transition in care setting and changes in health status
- In a Delegated Case Management market, understands and adheres to regulatory timeframes and standards required by National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA)
- Provides disease management, health promotion and prevention education to patients/caregivers and/or family members to manage disease progression and encourage proper medical testing, so patient can remain as independent as possible
- Manage and coordinate care and services within an Interdisciplinary Team
- Manage incoming clinical calls to ensure patients’ medical concerns are addressed by the care team in a timely manner
- Comfortable having and documenting advance directive conversations with patient/caregiver and/or family, and collaborate to reconcile patient/caregiver goals with the current clinical status
- Coordinates care needs across the continuum of care and is the point of contact for patient/caregiver and clinicians
- Leads daily IDT Huddle
- Actively participates in Landmark meetings and education sessions
- Acts as liaison between providers, nursing facilities, hospitals, and program staff, including making recommendations about care alternatives
- Facilitates/coordinates admission to a recommended level of care on a temporary or permanent basis
- Promotes patient safety. Reviews or initiates a home safety, functional assessment, and/or falls risk assessment with home-based providers to determine need for adaptive equipment. Assists with acquisition of assistive equipment, as recommended
- Monitors patient during admissions and provides nursing/assisted living facility and provider training on Landmark program philosophy and approach to patient care
- Identifies and reports any potential quality-of-care issues to Clinical Supervisor/HSD, so a plan of improvement can be developed and implemented, as needed
- Maintains HIPAA compliance at all times
What are the reasons to consider working for UnitedHealth Group? Put it all together - competitive base pay, a full and comprehensive benefit program, performance rewards, and a management team who demonstrates their commitment to your success. Some of our offerings include:
- Paid Time Off which you start to accrue with your first pay period plus 8 Paid Holidays
- Medical Plan options along with participation in a Health Spending Account or a Health Saving account
- Dental, Vision, Life& AD&D Insurance along with Short-term disability and Long-Term Disability coverage
- 401(k) Savings Plan, Employee Stock Purchase Plan
- Education Reimbursement
- Employee Discounts
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Referral Bonus Program
- Voluntary Benefits (pet insurance, legal insurance, LTC Insurance, etc.
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Associate's Degree or higher in Nursing
- Current, unrestricted RN license in the state of New York
- 2+ years of experience in clinical practice in a hospital, home care, hospice, clinic, or nursing home setting
- 1+ years of experience with patient-centered Care Plan creation and active management, Case Management
- 1+ years of experience with Electronic Medical Record documentation experience
- Desire to work Friday thru Sunday OR Saturday thru Monday; all 3 days, 8 hour shift each day
- Disease state management experience with strong ability to educate patients on health and wellness
- Advanced interpersonal and telephonic communication skills
- Ability to complete all work independently and within designated timeframes
- Adaptable, flexible, and able to maintain a positive attitude during change in process, practice, or policy
Careers with Optum. Our objective is to make health care simpler and more effective for everyone. With our hands at work across all aspects of health, you can play a role in creating a healthier world, one insight, one connection and one person at a time. We bring together some of the greatest minds and ideas to take health care to its fullest potential, promoting health equity and accessibility. Work with diverse, engaged and high-performing teams to help solve important challenges.
*All employees working remotely will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group’s Telecommuter Policy
At UnitedHealth Group, our mission is to help people live healthier lives and make the health system work better for everyone. We believe everyone-of every race, gender, sexuality, age, location and income-deserves the opportunity to live their healthiest life. Today, however, there are still far too many barriers to good health which are disproportionately experienced by people of color, historically marginalized groups and those with lower incomes. We are committed to mitigating our impact on the environment and enabling and delivering equitable care that addresses health disparities and improves health outcomes - an enterprise priority reflected in our mission.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: UnitedHealth Group is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
UnitedHealth Group is a drug - free workplace. Candidates are required to pass a drug test before beginning employment.